You are here
Focus - issue 02/09, August 2009
In his review of tackling worklessness, Cllr Stephen Houghton, Leader of Barnsley MBC says "local authorities can use their position as both employers and procurers to tackle worklessness".
This edition of LGE focus looks at the proposals in the review which suggest that getting people into work needs to become mainstream for local authorities.
Other elements of the subject that LGE focus explores include:
- A work and skills framework
- Assessing existing partnerships
- Work experience for graduates
- Good ideas from local government
Read Focus in full - Focus - issue 02/09, August 2009 (PDF, 4 pages, 337KB)
Tackling worklessness - webcast of LGA Group Annual Conference workshop
On Thursday 2 July 2009 a workshop entitled 'Tackling worklessness, rejuvenating the local government workforce... two for the price of one?' was held during the LGA Group Annual Conference and Exhibition 2009.
Speakers at the workshop included:
- Cllr Stephen Houghton, Barnsley Council (PDF, 7 pages, 13KB)
- Ged Fitzgerald, Lancashire County Council (PDF, 10 pages, 192KB)
- Cllr Paul Carter, Kent County Council (PDF, 5 pages, 43KB)
- Rob Whiteman, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (PDF, 10 pages, 660KB)
A webcast of the session with all the speakers is available on the LGA webcasts site.