You are here
Services for local authorities
- Products and resources available online
- How to access online resources
- E-alert updates
- Updating your details
Products and resources available online
Since 1 April 2008, our website has enabled local authority users (including local authorities, fire authorities, police authorities and regional employers' organisations) to access and download key products and resources online, including:
- NJC and JNC conditions of service handbooks:
- Green book – national agreement on pay and conditions of service for local government services
- Red book – JNC for local authority Craft and Associated Employees, national agreement on pay and conditions of service
- Conditions of service for chief executives of local authorities - JNC for local authority chief executives national agreement on pay and conditions of service
- Conditions of service for local authority chief officers - JNC for local authority chief officers national agreement on pay and conditions of service
- Conditions of service for blind workshops' employees – NJC for Workshops for the Blind, scheme of conditions of service
- Pink book – JNC for Youth and Community Workers handbook
- Blue Book – The Soulbury Committee: salary scales and service conditions of educational psychologists, young peoples'/community service managers and educational improvement professionals in local authorities
- Orange book – JNC for teachers in residential establishments
- Burgundy book – conditions of service handbook for school teachers in England and Wales
- Gold book – NJC for Brigade Managers of Fire and Rescue Services, Constitution and scheme of conditions of service
- Grey book – NJC for Local Authorities' Fire and Rescue Services, scheme of conditions of service
- Circulars and updates to the NJC/JNC National Agreements and teachers’ and school support staff pay and conditions: Keep up to date with changes in terms and conditions with advance bulletins, circulars and updates. You can focus on your particular areas of interest by signing up for e-alerts.
- Nationally negotiated NJC and JNC payscales: Grades and pay spines for the conditions of service handbooks listed above.
- Employment relations information and advice: Expert guidance on a wide range of employment law and HR management topics, including e-guides on employment issues of particular interest to local authorities.
- Advisory bulletin employment law updates: Published monthly as an electronic journal, with additional special updates when we want to inform you about significant issues as they arise. Written by our team of employment law advisers, our highly regarded Advisory Bulletin provides you with summaries of key employment law cases and updates to changes in legislation.
Importantly, for the first time this draws together these resources in one place for local authorities to access free of charge. As part of the changes we will also cease to issue hard copies of most of these products.
How to access online resources
In order to gain access to these key resources, as a local authority user you will need to register on the website using your local authority email address. The email domain (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) will verify you as a local authority user. If you are already registered with the website with a local authority email address, you will automatically get access.
Then, when trying to access these online resources you will first be prompted to sign in with your registered email address and password.
As part of the registration process you will have the option of receiving e-alert updates. These will notify you by email about updates to the key resources listed above and also to public pages of the website, in one or more of the following ways:
Sector updates: receive notification of updates according to your sector/s of interest. The sectors are:
- local government
- school support staff
- education and young people
- fire and rescue
- forensic medical examiners
The updates will include notice of new pay scales, circulars, updates to the NJC/JNC National Agreements, updates to teachers' and school support staff pay and conditions.
Employment law updates: employment law news, including the Advisory bulletin
Monthly update: a general update from LG Employers covering issues and news from all sectors
Focus: our quarterly newsletter
Updating your details
Once registered you can change your details, e-alert updates and password at http://www.lge.gov.uk/lge/reg/user-account.do?mode=u. If you are already signed in, simply click on 'MY ACCOUNT' at the top right of the screen.